[ros-users] Changing Festival voices or speed with sound_play?

Patrick Goebel patrick at casbs.stanford.edu
Sun Nov 28 16:25:53 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have sound_play working with say.py to utter phrases using the
Festival TTS engine.  However, the default voice is a very slow and low
male voice (rather spooky actually).  When I play the same text from the
Festival command line, I get a much more normal sounding voice and play
speed, and I can change voices too.  Is there a way to have sound_play
either say text at a faster speed or choose a different voice?

My setup is the latest cturtle on Ubuntu 10.04 and Festival
1.96~beta-10ubuntu1.

Thanks!
Patrick Goebel
Behavioral Sciences