[ros-users] Content of deb packages.

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Nov 1 20:50:23 UTC 2010

Hi Konrad,

We are targeting the removal of the build directories for the next release.
To do this it does require vetting all packages planning to be built as
debians to be checked for compliance.  However there are many packages which
don't even comply with stated best practices which means that

To implement the finer resolution which Jeremy mentioned we're also working
towards an install method which could register what's source and what is
necessary for runtime.  However with the multiple language support and
possibly also resource files needed, the distinction of source vs target is
non trivial and thus we are going to have to develop ways to express how to
install packages.  We are actively investigating options for this, however
as it's both a technical challenge and an interface design challenge we are
trying many different options and will only roll out one which we have
reviewed and tested throughly.  Especially since this sort of change is very
hard to rollback.

We have a strong commitment to maintaining stability for our community.
This stability is necessary for others to be able to build on top of ROS.
Please be patient as we follow our process and make sure not to break
existing code.  If this is a blocker for you please let us know and we can
suggest workarounds for you problem in the short term.

Tully

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.