[ros-users] Disparity image as heat map

Patrick Mihelich mihelich at willowgarage.com
Wed Nov 3 18:52:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Ibrahim <ibbi_mts at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm an amateur who just started using Bumble Bee XB3. Can anybody please
> tell me how you can obtain a color disparity heat map using the Visual C++
> environment. Because by default the disparity map is in grey scale.

You can use the stereo_view utility in
image_view<http://www.ros.org/wiki/image_view>to view the color-mapped
disparity image. There's no public API for doing
that mapping, but you can look at the stereo_view.cpp source code to see
what we do.

Secondly do you recommend to use the factory default calibration or
> calibrate the camera to your specified parameters in order to get a good
> disparity image.

There have been a couple other threads on the mailing list about using the
Bumble Bee XB3 if you search the archives. Someone was working on using the
factory calibration to produce rectified images - unfortunately that's a bit
difficult to integrate with the rest of the image_pipeline right now, though
it will get easier in Diamondback. Another way is to just recalibrate using
camera_calibration <http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_calibration> and let
stereo_image_proc do all of the processing.

Cheers,
Patrick