[ros-users] ROS Tutorial under OSX 10.6

DRamachandran at hra.com DRamachandran at hra.com
Thu Nov 4 19:32:34 UTC 2010

Ken,

 This would be awesome.  One more thing that would be nice would be if
OGRE 64-bit worked as well. Currently there are patches on the OGRE forums
for doing this but they have not been incorporated into the main
distribution and I haven't got around to trying them out.

~Deepak

Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com>
Sent by: ros-users-bounces at code.ros.org
11/04/2010 11:12 AM
Please respond to
User discussions <ros-users at code.ros.org>

User discussions <ros-users at code.ros.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [ros-users] ROS Tutorial under OSX 10.6

I'll note that a lot of the Diamondback work we're doing is expressly to
try and make this bringup easier, though it is hard to maintain compatible
with Apple's development choices.

The new rx stacks moves the wx dependencies out of ROS that are so
problematic on OS X -- we've also announced that we're switching the Qt in
the future, as wx seems to not have its act together anymore.

We've also moved visualization_msgs into common_msgs, which should reduce
the pollution of "visualization_common" within the stack dependency chain.
Also, future versions of RViz (not Diamondback, but possible E-turtle),
will be Qt based.

The last change we're hoping to make is to switch all of the
Python-related dependencies on OS X to use the builtin Python interpreter
and easy_install/pip. Originally we had brought things up to be compatible
with 10.4 and 10.5. If we drop 10.4 support, we no longer need to depend
on Macports for Python, which I think is a fairly big win given the
additional headaches we've had there.

 - Ken

Re: [ros-users] ROS Tutorial under OSX 10.6

Plz Brian, get annoyed soon! I miss working on Xcode so much :D

Gonçalo Cabrita

+1.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Brian Gerkey <gerkey at willowgarage.com>
wrote:
2010/11/4 Gonçalo Cabrita <goncabrita at gmail.com>:
> I myself am a Mac OS X user running dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 in order
> run ROS smoothly.
> I see a lot of discussion regarding running ROS on OS X 10.6, so my
question
> is, has anyone successfully installed and used ROS without loosing
> functionality on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

I haven't.  Many things were working well on 10.5, including rx* and
rviz.  Things pretty much went to hell when I upgraded to 10.6.  I'm
now dual-booting my laptop into Ubuntu for ROS development.  That will
eventually annoy me enough to figure out how to get things going on
10.6.

       brian.