[ros-users] Prosilica GC1020

René Wagner rene.wagner at dfki.de
Sat Nov 6 14:39:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 19:27 +0100, Steven Bellens wrote:
> 2010/11/5 Patrick Mihelich <mihelich at willowgarage.com>:
> > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Steven Bellens
> > <steven.bellens at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm experiencing this issue here now as well. The camera reponds on
> >> pings, but ListCameras doesn't detect it. Same goes with the provided
> >> SampleViewer application from prosilica: I find the camera on IP basis
> >> - but the app is not listing it automatically. I've checked the wiki
> >> page and followed all tutorials.
> >> Can you give me any instructions on how to solve this problem?
> >
> > This is a separate issue. Your camera is probably hooked up via a switch.
> > This is a limitation of the Prosilica SDK; it can only enumerate cameras
> > with IP address on a local subnet. If the camera is not on the local IP
> > subnet, you can still open it, but you have to know the IP address ahead of
> > time. This is why we have the "How to Determine Your Camera's IP Address"
> > tutorial, in case the camera isn't visible to the SDK and you've forgotten
> > its IP address. As long as you can open the camera using the
> > prosilica_camera node with ~ip_address set correctly, there's nothing to
> > worry about.
>
> The camera is hooked up directly to my computer.
> I can open the camera using it's ip, but it is not giving any images
> however! I've followed the tutorial to set up my network
> configuration, verify the camera's IP etc, but still I can't get the
> images to show up.

Try disabling the "firewall" (it's actually just a packet filter) for
that particular network interface, or for the entire machine if you're
not connected to any hostile networks
(System->Administration->Firewall->"Disable").

My understanding of the GigE camera protocol is that there's a control
port which is used to negotiate a port for data transfer. The camera
then tries to connect to that port on the host. The issue is that the
packet filter.

I've updated the Troubleshooting page to cover that.
http://www.ros.org/wiki/prosilica_camera/Troubleshooting

Rene

Dipl.-Inf. René Wagner                     Junior Researcher
DFKI Bremen                           Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems             D-28359 Bremen

Phone: (+49) 421-218-64224       Fax: (+49) 421-218-98-64224
Web: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agebv/en/ReneWagner
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz  GmbH
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschäftsführung:
                                          Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
                                Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern                          HRB 2313