[ros-users] Best way to view RViz remotely?

Tim Field tfield at willowgarage.com
Sat Nov 6 19:20:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Tim Niemueller <
niemueller at kbsg.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> So as soon as you have to transmit lots of data, the remote ROS
> connections are unfeasible. In our case we transmitted 3D laser data,
> and the highest traffic topic were the transforms (/tf).

You make good points, Tim.  I have one thing to add, if people aren't
already aware: the change_notifier <http://www.ros.org/wiki/tf#Nodes> node
trades off tf bandwidth for latency and accuracy.  The trade-off is
configurable.  I use it, for example, to reduce the tf bandwidth on a PR2
from a constant hundreds of KBs per second to between zero (static robot)
and a few KB/s (single arm moving.)

Tim