[ros-users] Message introspection in C++

Josh Faust jfaust at willowgarage.com
Sat Nov 6 20:28:53 UTC 2010

There's nothing that allows that currently.  It's something we've talked
about, but haven't actually found a need for (generally if you're doing this
kind of thing Python works fine, with C bindings if some part of it needs to
be faster).

There are a couple options for implementing it, but I think the one I'd go
with is a .msg parser in C++ that could introspect directly on the
serialized data.  The other option is to create a reflection system and have
every message package create a .so that can be dynamically loaded so that
the generated message itself can be created at runtime.  Neither option is a
small amount of work, but as long as you only need read support the first is
probably easier.  The second requires modifying the message generators and
automatically generating that .so for every message package, in addition to
the reflection system itself (which could be pulled from elsewhere).

Josh