[ros-users] RTT_COMPONENT_PATH in ROS debs

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Mon Nov 8 10:21:45 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 November 2010 16:47:25 Konrad Banachowicz wrote:
> Hi all,
> I found that default RTT_COMPONENT_PATH is set to invalid value when orocos
> is installed from ROS deb.
> It point to directory where deb was build instead of that where will be
> installed.

Orocos uses the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX directory to determine where to set this
path to. Normally, this should have been set to
/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/orocos_toolchain_ros/rtt/install/lib/orocos and
/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/orocos_toolchain_ros/ocl/install/lib/orocos for OCL

And *then* during the 'make install' step, the DEST_DIR variable is used to
put everything in the /tmp dir and packagae from there on.

I believe the debian packages use the /tmp directory directly in the
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX macro.

I'm not sure if we need to nag the debian packagers for this issue, or maybe
we can fix the make install step in the orocos_toolchain_ros too (by using
destdir, Ruben ?)

On the Orocos side, we're also working on 'ros package awareness' such that
we're less dependent of the RTT_COMPONENT_PATH and can just use the
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH to find all required plugins, typekits etc.

Peter