[ros-users] [Orocos-Dev] Do we know about these: orocos_controllers on ROS.org...?

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Thu Nov 11 17:29:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Konrad Banachowicz wrote:

> I going to do the release of my stacks. This would be 0.1 version (completely
> experimental, unreviewed ).
> So this would be good time to change names of those, if it's really necessary.
> I would like to know your opinions about names of my stack. And possibly
> proposals for better ones.

Good! I think the best way to start is that you explain to this list what
your aims, ambitions and approach are with your initiative.

> Pozdrawiam
> Konrad Banachowicz

Herman

PS Please do not top post...

> 2010/11/8 Konrad Banachowicz <konradb3 at gmail.com>
>       2010/11/8 Herman Bruyninckx <Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be>
>             On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, Peter Soetens wrote:
>
>             > On Monday 08 November 2010 09:57:30 Herman Bruyninckx
>             wrote:
>             >> FYI
>             >>
>             >> <http://www.ros.org/wiki/orocos_controllers>
>             >> To what extent are orocos developers involved in
>             this? Should we?
>             >
>             > I have been silently tracking the mails on ros-users,
>             being tempted to jump
>             > in.
>             >
>             > The name is a bit ambiguous from a 'branding' point of
>             view (who is
>             > responsible for that code), but I'm still in a
>             wait-and-see mode and I applaud
>             > any attempt of someone trying to set one up that
>             integrates nicely with ROS.
>             > It's only by doing it that we can find out what works
>             best...
>
> True. But the "branding" aspect should not be neglected. And I'm
> sure that
> the initiative under consideration here is indeed laudable, but it
> would
> have received a lot of help from this list _before_ it was released
> and
> published as a ROS package...
>
>  The name of my stacks could be a bit ambiguous beceose i am not OROCOS
> developer, but it well describes content of those stacks. I have discussed
> design of those stacks on ros and orocos mailing-list. These stacks have
> not been released, but are publicly available. I thought that
> prof-of-concept implementation whould be good starting point for discution
> on future of OROCOS-ROS integration.
>
>       Herman

   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056
   EURON Coordinator (European Robotics Research Network) <http://www.euron.org>
   Open Realtime Control Services <http://www.orocos.org>
   Associate Editor JOSER <http://www.joser.org>, IJRR <http://www.ijrr.org>