[ros-users] FYI Kinect hacked driver for linux

Stéphane Magnenat stephane.magnenat at mavt.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 12 15:23:30 UTC 2010

Hi Alex and the list,

> Wow, looks like quite a few people are working on kinect nodes; we
> should probably combine efforts!

Indeed :-). I've had a look at your node, great work! I've taken the
liberty of importing your roslaunch file and the udev rules into my node
(while mentioning you of course).

For information for people following the list, here is a summary of
differences between our nodes:

rep:
	Alex: git://github.com/atrevor/kinect_node.git
	Stéphane:
https://github.com/ethz-asl/ros-drivers/tree/master/microsoft_kinect/

features:
	Alex: depth and camera + color on depth + params
	Stéphane: depth and camera

dependencies:
	Alex: libusb, libfreenect, OpenGL, Glut
	Stéphane: libusb, libfreenect

After testing here, we found that the pow(value, 3) correction in
Hector's example is wrong. We will look for the correct value.

By the way, in the current git upstream of libfreenect there is a memory
trash. I made a patch [1] and sent it to Hector.

Kind regards,

Stéphane

[1]
https://github.com/ethz-asl/ros-drivers/blob/master/microsoft_kinect/libfreenect-patches/0001-Fixed-memory-trash.patch