[ros-users] Kinect for ROS (ccny-ros-pkg)

Curt Meyers cmeyers at willowgarage.com
Sun Nov 14 02:17:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu>wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 16:12 -0800, Curt Meyers wrote:
> > Does this frequently crash for anyone else?
>
> Yes, it crashes occasionally for me on my laptop if I turn on both the
> point cloud and the RGB image data. On a faster machine it's pretty
> stable. If you find any problems in our code, let us know.
>
> There also appears to be some performance issues with the libfreenect
> driver. If you end up writing patches for the libfreenect driver please
> CC us and we can integrate them into libfreenect_install.

OK, I am using a slow machine at home right now.

>  > Good job by the way. I was playing with the libfreenect last week and
> > sat down to write a ros node this weekend and you guys already have it
> > done!
> >
> > I hope that someone will soon figure out how to get all the other
> > stuff working, like the 3 axis accelerometers, microphones and the
> > motorized tilt mechanism.
>
> There is working code for the accelerometer and the tilt motor so
> integrating it into ROS should be easy once it's supported by
> libfreenect.
>
> As far as I know, the code for the accelerometers and tilt motors has not
been released yet. Have you seen this code?

I have not seen any code yet for the microphones, but I really want to
> HARK working.
>
> http://www.willowgarage.com/blog/2010/03/25/hark-texai

I worked on that and I don't think HARK will work well with the microphone
placement here. It is very sensitive to the shape of the object that the
mics are placed on, a big rectangular box is not ideal.