[ros-users] Kinect for ROS (ccny-ros-pkg)

Bill Morris morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu
Sun Nov 14 03:34:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 18:17 -0800, Curt Meyers wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu>
> wrote:
>         On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 16:12 -0800, Curt Meyers wrote:
>         > Does this frequently crash for anyone else?

>         There is working code for the accelerometer and the tilt motor
>         so
>         integrating it into ROS should be easy once it's supported by
>         libfreenect.
>
> As far as I know, the code for the accelerometers and tilt motors has
> not been released yet. Have you seen this code?

This code will work to control the motor and get accelerometer data.
https://github.com/adafruit/Kinect/blob/master/usbmotor.py

In that git repo there is also enough usb traces for someone to figure
out the audio.
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/11/09/kinect-hacking-video-and-data-dump/

>         I have not seen any code yet for the microphones, but I really
>         want to
>         HARK working.
>
>         http://www.willowgarage.com/blog/2010/03/25/hark-texai

> I worked on that and I don't think HARK will work well with the
> microphone placement here. It is very sensitive to the shape of the
> object that the mics are placed on, a big rectangular box is not
> ideal.

That's disappointing, it would be interesting to see if there is someway
to get speaker detection with the 4 microphones.