[ros-users] How can I benefit from ROS, Quadrotor ArduCopter project

Sebastien Lelong sebastien.lelong at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 13:10:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've recently found QGroundControl (http://qgroundcontrol.org), which may
help for your project, particularly the visualization part. Quite impressive
! IIRC there's a news on ros.org about QGroundControl and ROS integration,
mostly for 3D models if I understood correctly.

I was interested in using QGC in addition to ROS for some home-made robot
(wouldn't fly... yet), MCU-based, it seems to be versatile enough to fit
many needs, maybe yours too ?

Cheers,
Seb

2010/11/15 futureignobel <futureignobel at gmail.com>

>  Hi,
>
> I'd like to create a Flight Control System using visual feedback with ArduCCU-based,
> it seopter <http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/> from DIYDrones as an
> airframe. My main area of interest is attitude stabilization with visual
> information in indoor environments.
>
> What I plan to do is:
>
>    - buy the ArduCopter airframe featuring a 16MHz Atmega1280, 3x gyro, 3x
>    accel, 3x magneto
>    - add 4 sonar / IR sensors for wall detection
>    - add a RGB camera and a video transmitter
>    - add Xbee for communication (real-time quad to PC telemetry and PC to
>    quad control commands)
>
> I hope to implement image-processing techniques in my PC to be able to
> control the attitude of my quadrotor in real-time. The control system would
> be onboard, the PC would only send camera-estimated attitude info to the
> quadrotor. I'd also like, and hence the question here, to build a simulation
> and visualization of the whole system (including sensor measurement
> simulation).
>
> Can I benefit from using ROS in my design / simulation / visualization? I'm
> working on the project only by myself and would like to have some results in
> a year from now.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions helping me to achieve my goals.

Sébastien Lelong
http://jaluino.org
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org