[ros-users] Kinect RGB-D Calibration

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Wed Nov 17 02:35:39 UTC 2010

Hi Bill,

Great work! A few suggestions:

  * use a larger calibration pattern that covers more of the image

  * use a calibration pattern with more squares

  * if the estimates of the corners (after subpixel refinement) are still bad, an iterative fitting process (or LMedS or
RANSAC) could help

Alternatively, a calibration plate with circles would be better. We already have code ready that we need to commit for
finding out centers of circles/ellipses and using those for calibration plates a la
http://www.mvtec.com/halcon/applications/imgs/3d-vision-example-3d-calibration01.png, so this might improve things.

Cheers,
Radu.