[ros-users] New URDF Tutorials

Wim Meeussen meeussen at willowgarage.com
Mon Nov 22 23:47:59 UTC 2010

> That was my original plan, but I ended up just editing them separately. At
> some point, I might add another one for "Using Tools to Examine a URDF
> Model" (check_urdf and urdf_to_graphviz), possibly with some error messages.

We can also link to this tutorial from the 'troubleshooting' page.

> The other one that might be useful is "Using a URDF in Code" which covers
> the stuff from
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/urdf/Tutorials/Parse%20a%20urdf%20file
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/kdl_parser/Tutorials/Start%20using%20the%20KDL%20parser
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/robot_state_publisher/Tutorials/Using%20the%20robot%20state%20publisher%20on%20your%20own%20robot
> If I do end up doing something like that, what is the recommended way to
> deprecate the old tutorials?

When the new tutorials provide at least the same information as the
old ones, you can move the old ones into a 'Deprecated' category on
the bottom of the tutorial overview page.   Once the new tutorials are
running smoothly and we have enough new users that ran through them,
we can remove the old ones.

Wim

> -David!!
>
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Wim Meeussen <meeussen at willowgarage.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > I've just finished a set of tutorials for helping people learn how to
>> > make
>> > URDF models step by step.
>> > http://www.ros.org/wiki/urdf/Tutorials
>> > Eventually, I plan to add information about how to finish the model in
>> > Gazebo.
>> > Let me know if you have any suggestions comments.
>> > -David Lu
>>
>> David,
>>
>> This is really great, awesome job! You closed a large gap in the URDF
>> tutorials. Do you intend to absorb/replace the first two tutorials in
>> "1. Learning URDF"?  They are similar in scope, but cover different
>> parts of building a URDF.  What are your thoughts and future plans for
>> these tutorials?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Wim
>>

>> --