[ros-users] Reinventing the wheel: training and evaluation of algorithms for objects detection in images

Victor Eruhimov relrotciv at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 23 01:04:38 UTC 2010

Hello Rodrigo, copy-pasting my response from OpenCV user group.

I think it is a great initiative and I am looking forward to see such a framework. OpenCV has a lot of infrastructure on object detection that you might want to look at, such as cascade classifier training, several machine learning classifiers and feature extraction methods. I really want to see OpenCV as a library that makes it easy to create an object detection application. OpenCV 2.2 will have some of what you call "install, run, see the graphs coming out" functionality such as a sample running bag-of-words object class detection on PASCAL VOC datasets. This framework can be used for generic object detector training too (PASCAL data structures + OpenCV methods for reading them).

Having said that, I have to admit that OpenCV does not have a generic framework for training a detector for any type of object. And here is why: the problem is not solved yet. There are a few problems that are solved up to quality accepted by industry, face detection is one of the famous. If you look at the ROC curves from PASCAL VOC papers, a lot of them are far on the research side. OpenCV 2.2 will have two methods for detecting object classes: latent SVM and color descriptors with bag of words. Even if we try now to join them into a single framework, this will be quite hard -- the algorithms are too different. But since this is still a research problem, both approaches might change a lot over a couple of years and this will render our efforts useless.

So my suggestion is to select the bits and pieces of object detection that are likely to survive and implement a framework for them. I already mentioned VOC datasets -- it is very important to have a data structure definition to work with. Local descriptors will be put in such a framework in OpenCV 2.2, this is a good example of "stable" functionality in my opinion.

Best Regards, Victor