[ros-users] can rosbagmigration transform one existing message into another?

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Tue Nov 23 06:17:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to translate one message into another. All the
> required information is there. But, I can't seem to convince
> rosbagmigration or rosbag check that anything needs to be done.

Rosbagmigration can be used to transform one message into another, but
only if the original message no longer exists.

The effective design decision that was made was to only allow for
convergence of messages such that there is never an ambiguity as to
what to do with a message when it is found in a bag.

> I've read the usual wiki pages on the subject, and they seem to be in
> a confusing state right now. Apparently, rosbagmigration is deprected
> in ROS 1.3. I'm working with cturtle for now, but would like a
> solution that continues to work in Diamondback.

rosbagmigration in ROS 1.3 is moving to rosbag/migration.
Rosbagmigration will continue to work in 1.3 but be deprecated.  The
only change that should need to be made to remove the deprecation
warning at that point is in the exports line.