[ros-users] OctoMap v0.8 released, octomap_mapping stack now in cturtle .debs

René Wagner rene.wagner at dfki.de
Fri Nov 26 10:39:00 UTC 2010

Hi Armin,

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 11:48 +0100, Armin Hornung wrote:
> This coincides with the release of OctoMap v0.8, which the
> octomap_mapping stack now builds on. Compared to previous versions, the
> optimizations in OctoMap 0.8 significantly speed up map building and
> queries on the map.

That's excellent news. I'll see if I can test our code with the new
release shortly. We've had performance issues in the past and had to
resort to offline map-building. It would be great if we could do that
online instead.

>  As always, we're curious to hear how you use OctoMap

As you are probably aware of, we (Udo Frese's Realtime Vision Group here
in Bremen) use OctoMap to build a volumetric map in our visual SLAM
system developed as part of the SFB TR/8 A7 project. See [1] for a
video.

> and if there are suggestions for further improvements.

Have you considered using Eigen2/3 for vector/matrix/quaternion math?
I would expect this to yield further performance improvements and it
would relieve you from maintaining your own matrix/quaternion library.

Cheers,

Rene

[1]
http://www.ros.org/wiki/Events/CoTeSys-ROS-School/Presentations?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=vslam.mp4

Dipl.-Inf. René Wagner                     Junior Researcher
DFKI Bremen                           Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems             D-28359 Bremen

Phone: (+49) 421-218-64224       Fax: (+49) 421-218-98-64224
Web: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agebv/en/ReneWagner
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz  GmbH
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschäftsführung:
                                          Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
                                Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern                          HRB 2313