[ros-users] rospy and python 3.0

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Nov 29 16:56:17 UTC 2010

Hi Severin,
This is great.  We do have lots of unit testing framework.  This is a good
place to start to read about it
http://www.ros.org/wiki/DevelopersGuide#Testing

In general if you do "rosmake -t STACKNAME" it will compile and test all
packages in the stack.  Assuming you're off of trunk/unstable and working on
rospy "rosmake -t ros_comm" would give you a good idea if all things are
functional.  You can find lots of other ways to test smaller increments in
the documentation, which will be useful for rapid iteration.

Tully

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Severin Lemaignan <
severin.lemaignan at laas.fr> wrote:

> On 11/26/2010 07:31 PM, Ken Conley wrote:
> > Is this meant to be a backwards compatible implementation?
>
> Yep, we try to ensure that everything runs unchanged with Python 2.x
> (but, it requires Python >= 2.5 (for relative imports) and *maybe*
> Python >= 2.6 - since I didn't test anything with Python 2.5).
>
> Our approach is the following one:
>  1- run the '2to3' script
>  2- make it work with Python 3
>  3- make it work again with Python 2
>
> The third step mainly involve alternative package import. The right
> package is selected with this kind of statement:
> try
>   import ModulePy3
> except ImportError:
>   import ModulePy2 as ModulePy3
>
> which is more or less the recommended way to maintain backward
> compatibility.
>
> I was wondering: does WG have some kind of unit-testing framework for
> Python scripts? because I'm quite sure that we leave out a lot of
> run-time errors during the conversion process...
>
> Severin
>
> --
>          Séverin Lemaignan - lemaigna at in.tum.de
>  [00]    PhD student on Cognitive Robotics
> /|__|\   Technische Uni München - IAS group / LAAS-CNRS - RIS group
>   ''     +498928917780 / +33561337844
>          http://www.laas.fr/~slemaign <http://www.laas.fr/%7Eslemaign>

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer