[ros-users] communicating with windows

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 06:26:04 UTC 2010

I have continued to try and compile ros on vs2010, and I have had some
success with using the boost 1_44 libraries instead of the 1_41 version.  I
have run into a few other problems since then though.

I had to modify the types.h file in the roslib project to use stdint.h
instead of the custom defines usually used in windows, I have attached a
patch.

I have now run into another problem, I am getting lots of linking errors
related to xmlrpc++, which make me think that it is an incompatibility with
vs2010, because this is the same type of exceptions I got from log4cxx
before I found a vs2010 compatibility fix on a forum (see my previous
email).  However, xmlrpc++ hasn't been updated on sf since 2003 and I am not
finding anything about these problems or even anything related to vs2010 and
xmlrpcpp.  Here are the exceptions: http://pastry.se/1041001/.  I have
downloaded the source for xmlrpc++ and tried to compile it with vs2010, but
when converting the .sln's to vs2010 all of them failed to convert for some
reason or another, I haven't had time to investigate this issue yet.

I am grateful for anyone else who has some input and I hope this helps the
other ROS on windows supporters add vs2010 to their test suit.

Thanks,

William Woodall
Graduate Software Engineering
Auburn University