[ros-users] robot_state_publisher question

Axelrod, Benjamin baxelrod at irobot.com
Fri Oct 1 13:07:20 UTC 2010

I am using the robot_state_publisher to convert my joint angles to tf
transforms.  However, it seems that the robot_state_publisher doesn't
like it when you send it different joints at different times.  In other
words, robot_state_publisher doesn't maintain any state...

For example, my urdf has 2 joints:

Base -> joint1 -> link1 -> joint2 -> link2

If I send it joint1, then at a later time I send it joint 2, I get this
error:

Node: /robot_state_publisher

Time: 1285876513.251897000

Severity: Error

Location:
/home/arm_user/darpa_arm_software/stacks/robot_model/robot_state_publish
er/src/robot_state_publisher.cpp:RobotStatePublisher::publishTransforms:
78

Published Topics: /rosout, /tf

Could not compute link poses. The tree or the state is invalid.

But if I send both joints at once, then everything is fine.  This seems
like a major limitation to me.  Am I missing something?

I am using boxturtle.  And am using robot_state_publisher running as a
node.

Thanks,

-Ben

Ben Axelrod