[ros-users] Can service answers be asynchronous?

Stéphane Magnenat stephane.magnenat at mavt.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 5 15:16:19 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am about to start writing a bridge between ROS and ASEBA [1]. In this
context, ASEBA is a low-level (cross-microcontroller) middleware, whose
features I would like to expose to ROS. I already did this with D-Bus [2].

As ASEBA talks to microcontrollers, there might be delays in answers, so
when an RPC-like query is performed on the Service, I would like the
function to return to the event loop and to be able to provide an answer
to the RPC later, when the data from the microcontroller will  have
arrived. As far as I understand, as ROS is message-based, this should be
possible. D-Bus provides an API for this [3]. I have not found any
information related to asynchronous answers in the context of ROS, and
if I have read the API doc correctly, ROS does not provide such a
feature in its service API. Is it correct? If so, do you plan to
implement this at some point?

Thank you, kind regards,

Stéphane

[1] http://mobots.epfl.ch/aseba.html