[ros-users] Single Laser dependency

Prasad Dixit abhimohpra at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 06:33:40 UTC 2010

Hello experts,
 This question is an extension of my thread raised sometime back.
1.
Please let me know what your experience says...
I am working on indoor robot application, in which i am using only one
Hokuyo URG-04LX-UG01 sensor.  I would like to know that, Is it efficient to
use only one sensor? can i achieve Localization, Planning and Navigation
cycle using only single sensor? How effective would be ROS algorithms in
such case? Do i need any additional supportive sensors like IMU or some
external Trans-receivers or Vision sensors?

Though I am using Sonar sensors but they are not involved anywhere in
Navigation process. They are just kept as precautionary measures in case
obstacle is on some height which is above laser scans.

2. Is it possible to change the range of the Laser scanner dynamically? Is
there any parameter for it to set that in ROS?
For e.g: Suppose my Robot is running in a museum. The robot is mounted with
the touch screen on the top (like texai monitor) . A viewer can access the
screen to get the information. Now my laser will have specific range for
usual navigation but if user comes in its front the laser then that time it
should reduce its range so as not to treat user as an obstacle.
OR i can have camera to capture face and direct laser to reduce its range.

- Prasad