[ros-users] stereo calibration

Jeff Hyams jeff.hyams at resquared.com
Mon Oct 11 13:57:42 UTC 2010

I am trying to run the camera_calibration to calibrate a simple custom setup
stereo pair.  I am using the uvc_stereo package to publish the raw camera
images.

I get through the calibration (using a 5x4 checkerboard at the moment) after
a minute of moving the checkerboard to the various positions around the
image.  But once the calibrate button lights up and I hit it, it seems to
still be looking for the checkerboard.  It also shows images which look to
be zoomed in samples of the actual images, rather than what I would expect
for poorly calibrated rectified images.  It also seems to be constantly
recalculating the epipolar error (really high, usually over 10.0) whenever
it finds the checkerboard after I have hit the calibrate button, or
reporting the checkerboard not found if it's not in the image.

Based on the wiki page, I expected it to sample the images, then once the
button was hit, to calculate and then print out or save the results.  Is
this expected behavior, or am I doing something drastically wrong here?  Am
I just getting a really bad set of images for calibration that is screwing
up the calculations?

I am only running the image_raw publisher(s).  Do I need to also be running
the stereo_image_proc while doing calibration?

Thanks,

Jeff Hyams
RE2, Inc.