[ros-users] call for testing: camera1394 in C-turtle

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:35:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the bug report, Hordur.
>
> I just got back from vacation yesterday, please forgive the slow reply.
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Hordur Kristinn Heidarsson
> <heidarss at usc.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've been testing out the driver with a couple of Videre STH-DCSG-VARX-C
>> cameras. The node started out without a problem, but I only got empty/black
>> frames from the camera. After messing around and looking through the code, I
>> tried commenting out the part where the camera is reset:
>> //  if (DC1394_SUCCESS != dc1394_camera_reset(camera_))
>> After commenting that out the driver works fine with the cameras. So I did a
>> simple fix that checks if the manufacturer and type is VIDERE_DESIGN and the
>> model is MDS and skip the reset if that's the case.
>
> I opened a ticket on this defect (#4396), assigned to me.

I just committed a fix for this defect to the camera_drivers trunk.

As Blaise suggested, I added a new reset_on_open parameter (default
true). You should set that parameter false for the Videre
STH-DCSG-VARX-C.

There are many ways to do that, including setting it on the command
line like this:

 $ rosrun camera1394 camera1394_node _reset_on_open:=false

Before we release that in a C-turtle update, I would like you to
verify that this change does indeed fix the problem with your device.

If anyone else cares to try it with their device, that would also be
useful. My test cameras work fine with reset_on_open set either true
or false. Let me know what camera you tried, how you set the new
option, and what the results were.

Thanks,
--
 joq