[ros-users] AMCL bug?

Dominik Franěk dominik.franek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 08:28:45 UTC 2010

Hi guys and girls,

recently I'm having difficulties running my robot as it stops working
after a very short time. I have narrowed the problem to AMCL, which
stops working either (probably) at it's first resampling, or some
longer time later. I have had all the navigation with amcl and static
map on both costmaps running all right for a long time and this error
started appearing during some testing of various parameters (no
changes in packages) and then stayed untill now, though I have tried
reverting or otherwise changing all I could think of. So, now some
details.

My ROS and all substantial components are the most recent version,
including the yesterdays update. Costmaps are both using the same
static map with no marking/clearing. TF tree is default
(map->odom->base_link->laser_scan) and running on about 13Hz, all fine
on view_frames.  In rviz everything looks ok. Pose cloud appears after
setting initial pose.
When I send a goal, robot starts moving towards it, both in the real
and rviz. And after traversing around half a meter it freezes in rviz
(along with pose cloud and laser measurments), in command starts
printing transform timeout with pose timestamp staying on the same
value and amcl disappears from tf_monitor. In rxgraph and node info
amcl still looks all right though. In the real, robot keeps going
until it hits a wall... So the thing is, AMCL stops updating the pose
estimate.
What works a bit is to give the first goal very close, then the robot
gets to it alive, and then usually manages to get to a second goal
that can be far away. And then it freezes after reaching the second
goal.

I have been trying to repair it for a long time and run out of ideas..
 Would be gratefull for any help.

Dominik