[ros-users] Ranger (Sonar/IR) message added to sensor_msgs?

Ivan Dryanovski ivan.dryanovski at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 19:55:54 UTC 2010

I would be interested in seeing this implemented. I think a single
message type can describe both IR sensors and Sonars. A field
describing the type of radiation could be useful. For example, sonars
tend to be more sensitive to the incidence angle, so if someone is
using it for localizing, they might be interested in discriminating
between Sonar and IR.

I like the terms "spread_angle" and "fov" a little better than
"beam_angle". The latter makes it sound a little like the center angle
of the beam in some fixed frame, rather than a spread. This is a minor
issue and a matter of preference I suppose.

Another thing to consider is a convention about out-of-range readings.
If I recall correctly, LaserScan drivers currently return "0" for
out-of-range.

Ivan Dryanovski