[ros-users] Ranger (Sonar/IR) message added to sensor_msgs?

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Mon Oct 4 15:12:49 UTC 2010

For reference, Player offers a ranger interface:
 https://playerstage.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/playerstage/code/player/trunk/libplayerinterface/interfaces/062_ranger.def
There are several message types defined there, because a Player
interface specifies a group of data, command, and/or configuration
messages (ROS doesn't have an analogous 'interface' concept).

Probably the most relevant message from that interface is
player_ranger_data_rangestamped_t.  It contains the range data, and
optionally geometry and configuration information.  Some of that
information would be handled in ROS by tf.

I recommend creating an API review in the sensor_msgs package
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/sensor_msgs/Reviews) to propose and discuss
the addition of a Ranger type.  The proposal should be clear about
what kind of range sensors are handled, e.g.: do the transducers have
the same origin? do they lie in the same plane?  It would also be a
good idea to provide converter nodes to go between existing "range"
messages and the new Ranger type; that way you avoid the expectation
that existing nodes, such as laser drivers, would quickly be updated
to support the Ranger type

	brian.