[ros-users] Stack visibility

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Oct 5 07:14:12 UTC 2010

Hi Steven,

I believe I have sent some details on this to Ruben, so you may wish
to consult with him.

The issue is that the URL we are currently indexing,

http://svn.mech.kuleuven.be/repos/orocos/trunk/kul-ros-pkg

has conflicting layouts. It has both straight packages, e.g.:

http://svn.mech.kuleuven.be/repos/orocos/trunk/kul-ros-pkg/iTaSC/

And it has a per-stack layout, e.g.

http://svn.mech.kuleuven.be/repos/orocos/trunk/kul-ros-pkg/stacks/orocos_toolchain_ros/trunk

Our indexer expects to be able to checkout a given URL, and have a
valid ROS setup in the resulting checkout. As ROS expects the stack
name and the directory name to be the same, this does not work for the
current kul-ros-pkg layout.

As a different example, you'll notice from our repositories (e.g.
wg-ros-pkg) that the 'trunk' and 'stacks' directories are separate
from one another:
code.ros.org/svn/wg-ros-pkg/trunk
code.ros.org/svn/wg-ros-pkg/stacks

The way that we manage the indexing for our repository is that setup
an SVN external:

https://code.ros.org/svn/wg-ros-pkg/externals/rosdoc/

that we autogenerate. If you wish to improve the kul-ros-pkg
repository, I recommend that:

1) You move the 'stacks' directory to be outside of the global 'trunk'
2) You setup an SVN external that points to the desired tag of each
stack you wish to index.

In the future we will allow other ways of controlling how your
repository is indexed, though the SVN external method provides just as
much control as those will.

HTH,
Ken