[ros-users] Can service answers be asynchronous?

Stéphane Magnenat stephane.magnenat at mavt.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 5 15:34:57 UTC 2010

On 05/10/10 17:21, Axelrod, Benjamin wrote:
> Maybe you are looking for something like:
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/actionlib?

No really. Albeit actionlib provides asynchronous IPC-like interaction,
as far as I have understood, their semantics are ones of an action in
the robotic meaning, not of an IPC. In the ASEBA context, a service call
could be "read a value from a memory address in the microcontroller", so
the semantic is really one of an IPC; yet at the implementation level,
this operation might take some time. I could of course implement the
bridge using multi-threading, but then the bandwidth of the bridge would
be limited by the round-trip time with the microcontrollers, while with
asynchronous IPC at the service level, I could queue multiple requests
before getting the first answer.

All the best,

Stéphane

--