[ros-users] ogre_tools broken on CTurtle/Snow leopard

Clayton T. Morrison clayton at cs.arizona.edu
Wed Oct 6 01:52:54 UTC 2010

Hi Deepak,

Back in July I did manage to compile the core ROS libraries to 32-bit on
Snow Leopard, in c-turtle.

Not sure if this will work, but the following link points to the message
from Josh Faust inside a previous thread where I was working through trying
to compile everything 32bit.
https://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20100802.063847.70352d22.en.html

In general, it was just a matter of adding

    cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.4.6)
    set(ROS_COMPILE_FLAGS "${ROS_COMPILE_FLAGS} -arch i386")
    set(ROS_LINK_FLAGS "${ROS_LINK_FLAGS} -arch i386")

to my CMakeLists in my package and then did
     rosmake --pre-clean <package>

As Josh notes, rospack/rosstack are special: they're compiled before
rosbuild uses rospack.  So I had to set compiler flags manually in the
rospack CMakeLists.txt as you would normally for cmake.  However, that
didn't completely work -- I found that my -arch i386 flag was not always
propagated through, so I had to go in and manually edit several link.txt and
build.make files under CMakeFiles directory in the rospack/rosstack
directory.  However, once I got rospack/rosstack to compile 32bit, then
rosmake --pre-clean made everything, including rosconsole.  (This was also
after installing macport universal versions of log4cxx and boost -- but it
sounds like you've already got that.)

Not sure if this helps, or whether things have changed.

-Clay

Clayton T. Morrison
Assistant Research Professor
University of Arizona