[ros-users] examples of non ROS service clients?

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Oct 6 16:00:36 UTC 2010

I think several things are being conflated here:

 1. Whether or not something is a node: Being a non-node simply
relates to how much infrastructure a single process starts up. The
difference in code is very little.
 2. Platform independence: rospy is platform independent, save for a
single line PYTHONPATH bootstrapper that doesn't work on Windows
(yet). It's very easy to override this.
 3. "Modest" segment of code: I would look at rospy or roslua. I get
the feeling that they are not as big as you think they are.

I think you'll find that, in implementing the steps you outline, you
will have implemented a nearly complete ROS client library, but by
being non ROS native, it will be more brittle and harder to maintain
in the long run. Similarly, by avoiding a ROS install, you'll jump
through extra hoops to get autogenerated service classes into your
codebase.

 - Ken