[ros-users] rosdep install turtle_teleop failed on OS X

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:29:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Tadele Shiferaw Tadele
<t.s.tadele at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>  I installed ROS on OS X 10.6.4 and when i was going through the tutorial i faced a problem on installation of the turtle_teleop.
> The command output is shown below...Any help will be appreciated greatly!!
>
>  :~ Tadele$ rosdep install turtle_teleop rxtools
> Failed to find rosdep bluez for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> Failed to find rosdep libbluetooth-dev for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> Failed to find rosdep python-bluez for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> Failed to find rosdep libx11-dev for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> Failed to find rosdep flex for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> Failed to find rosdep libusb for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> Failed to find rosdep bison for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> Failed to find rosdep joystick for package turtle_teleop on OS:macports version:macports
> ERROR: ABORTING: Rosdeps [u'bluez', u'libbluetooth-dev', u'python-bluez', u'libx11-dev', u'flex', u'libusb', u'bison', u'joystick'] could not be resolved

I had the same problem, and the answer I've concluded/received, is
that ROS support on the Mac is still very experimental and not all
stacks & packages are supported.

In this particular case (which I dug into a little because I wanted to
understand what was going on), the turtle_teleop package includes 2
different programs, one for interacting with the turtle via the
keyboard, and one for interacting with the turtle via a bluetooth
connected joystick.  In order to use the bluetooth connected joystick,
you have to have a number of system libraries, such as bluez,
libbluetooth-dev, etc...

If you want to play with ROS on a Mac, I have found that the path of
least resistance is to install Ubuntu in a VMWare box.

--wpd