[ros-users] GMapping Question

Steven Martin s34.martin at connect.qut.edu.au
Thu Oct 7 20:34:46 UTC 2010

Hi Euchul,

Gmapping expects odometry which would usually be estimated from encoders on the robots wheels. If you are running this on a robot you need to setup a tf broadcaster to transmit the estimated transformation between odom coordinate frame and the base link.

If however you just have the laser depending on what type of map you are trying to generate it may be worthwhile looking at some of the scan matching tools.
http://www.ros.org/wiki/scan_tools

Cheers

Steve