[ros-users] Closed kinematic chains in ros/gazebo

Andrew Mor abm760 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 20:47:32 UTC 2010

Thanks for the feedback.  I've been looking at urdf2gazebo.cpp to see how I
can add in the last joint to the gazebo model, using, as you suggest, a
gazebo extension to get the joint information.  Is the support already built
into that code, or a previous version?  I have a plan on adding it, but may
not be doing everything in the best manner possible.

Looking through the gripper xacro file, there is this:

 <joint:hinge name="${prefix}_r_parallel_root_joint">
          <body1>${prefix}_r_parallel_link</body1>
          <body2>${prefix}_palm_link</body2>
          <anchor>${prefix}_palm_link</anchor>
          <axis>0 0 -1</axis>
          <damping>0.2</damping>
          <anchorOffset>${0.07691+parallel_link_x_offset}
${-0.01-parallel_link_y_offset} 0</anchorOffset>
      </joint:hinge>

Is this the code that adds in the parallel link?  If so, I should be able to
decipher what everything in there does.

As far as the application, we have a pan/tilt platform, where the tilt axis
controls one of the bars of a 4-bar linkage so that upper platform actually
translates instead of tilts.  There is then another pan/tilt head on top of
the first one to do the actual tilting.  But the 4-bar linkage is the one
causing the difficulties.

Thanks

Andrew