[ros-users] ROS deployment strategy

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Oct 12 15:57:15 UTC 2010

Hi Christian,

I recommend you look at this REPs, which are currently open (i.e.
being implemented):

http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0100.html
http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0102.html

Both deal with reducing the size of the installation in future versions.

With respect to 'smartly' reducing the system of your ROS system, ROS
provides tools to tell you your exact dependencies, and how to install
them, so that you can trim down to exactly what you need.

You may be best off doing a custom install of just the packages in
your dependency tree, instead of the debian installs, which include
additional packages that you probably don't need. If you're doing a
custom install from source, you'll want to strip the .svn directories
post checkout.

Downloading just the packages that you need should be relatively
simple to script as a combination of:

rospack depends your_top_level_package
roslocate svn package_name

 - Ken