[ros-users] Using orocos_toolchain_ros with custom message types

Stefan Kohlbrecher stefan.kohlbrecher at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 12 20:51:36 UTC 2010

Hi Steven,

> It's like you prefer to design your packages, but you don't need the
> extra typekit package. You can just add the typekit generation to your
> brtest_msgs package.
Thanks for the hint, I think I´ll keep them seperated for now though,
so pure ROS nodes using the messages don´t have to include the RTT
dependencies.

> Have you taken a look at the docs at
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/orocos_toolchain_ros?
> They should be self explaining, but in case something is not clear,
> let us know and we'll extend them.
Well it wasn´t totally clear to me because I had that wrong typekit
path which lead me to believe something is amiss with the docs, when
in reality that wasn´t the case. Having solved that, the integration
seems to run fine (Just defining ROS messages in one place and using
them across RTT and ROS really helps productivity and usability).
So what I´m wondering about now isn´t totally related to the original
problem like:
-Is there something planned for carefree compatibility between RTT and
ROS timestamps?
-will services get exposed?
-will we have some mapping of ROS parameters into RTT?
But that might deserve another topic on the mailing list.

regards,
Stefan