[ros-users] ROS deployment strategy

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:22:59 UTC 2010

I have a package installer for our embedded systems here at work so we only
install the runtime packages and dependency chain (aka rosmake, not whole
stacks). Scaling it down is a slightly different concept to what they're
planning for the rep's, so I'm thinking of developing some python/cmake
tools that can do this properly in eros when they introduce the installer
they're talking about in the reps (likely it will use some of the same
functionalities).

On 14 October 2010 00:09, Christian Verbeek <verbeek at servicerobotics.eu>wrote:

>  Ken,
>
> My solution right now looks a little bit different. My robots run Ubuntu
> 9.04. On a separate Ubuntu 9.04 system I installed ros-cturtle-base and
> then used
>
> http://svn.openrobotino.org/trunk/ros/strip_cturtle.sh
>
> to copy only the needed files into a new folder and generate a new
> debian package. By this I reduced the size to 866MB and even more
> important my deb package only depends on the really necessary packages
> which are
>
> python-yaml
> libboost
> liblog4cxx
> libyaml
>
> The same I did for my own ROS stacks.
>
> What we would need is the whole ROS split up and separate runtime packages.

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin Robot: http://www.yujinrobot.com/
Embedded Control Libraries: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/wiki/ecl