[ros-users] How to make a package depend on another package OR on an external package

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Thu Oct 14 14:30:49 UTC 2010

Hi Tinne,

The best way to approach this is probably to create a package that
checks if the rosdep is available and otherwise downloads and installs
the package.

While having an 'OR' dependency would be nice, it's hard to preserve
because *every* package that uses the library has to use the 'OR'
dependency. If one package uses the <depend> version, and another uses
the <rosdep>, then you end up getting the same library twice.

 - Ken