[ros-users] Standard GPS Message

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 19:43:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems like there's enough interest to proceed with this.
>
> I suggest we create a review page similar to Eric's Ranger proposal.
>
> The best GPS message currently defined seems to be some combination of these:
>
>  http://www.ros.org/doc/api/gps_common/html/msg/GPSFix.html
>  http://www.ros.org/doc/api/gps_common/html/msg/GPSStatus.html
>
> We can iterate on those to develop a consensus version to review.
> There have been a number of good comments already, but we need to
> capture the ideas in the review page.
>
> There has also been some discussion of Mapping data. I am also
> interested in this. It is yet unclear whether there is a consensus on
> what would be needed, but further discussion seems worthwhile.
>
> Any volunteer willing to lead the review discussion? I'll do it if
> necessary, but some of you know more about this topic than I do.

I decided to create a review page so we could iterate over a specific
proposal and close the API review by the end of this month.

Then I discovered that Bill Morris had already done that when the
discussion began back in May. Thanks Bill!

  http://www.ros.org/wiki/sensor_msgs/Reviews/2010-05-31%20GPS%20Proposal_API_Review

There are lots of advantages to getting this done by the end of
October. I'm sure everyone is busy (I am too), but this should not
take overly much time, so please give it enough attention to get it
done over the next couple of weeks.

Many people had useful e-mail comments about this proposal. Please go
to that page and add your name as a reviewer, plus a summary of your
comments in the "Question / concerns / comments" section.
--
 joq