[ros-users] Navigation Goal

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Fri Oct 15 19:21:53 UTC 2010

Safdar,

It sounds like you may have an issue with localization or odometry on your
robot as move_base thinks it has achieved the desired pose.

To check localization in rviz, drive the robot around and look at how the
laser scans match up with the environment. They should line up with walls
and other features, if they don't you likely have a problem.

To check your odometry, you'll want to perform a number of tests like
rotating the robot in place and watching the laser scans (with a large decay
time in rviz) to see what kind of drift you experience and driving the robot
straight down a hallway, again looking at the laser scans to see what kind
of drift occurs.

You'll need reasonable odometry for localization to work well.

Hope all is well,

Eitan