[ros-users] ROS Interface for AR.Drone Quadrotor

Nate Roney nateroney at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 14:02:15 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

the Twist, it was actually an oversight on my part, which I realized when I
was writing the wiki page <http://ros.org/wiki/ardrone_driver>. The latest
commit message in my repo (about two hours after I announced the package)
shows this change. See the wiki page for a description of how the
coordinates are used. If there are any further changes anyone has for the
coordinates used, let's get them settled now. I think keeping things with
REP 103, until an aerial robot standard emerges, would be best.

As far as using gstreamer, I have thought about that, but, unfortunately,
the Parrot team have modified the H.263 standard slightly into their
own proprietary format. I have the spec on the format, which they have made
available, so it can be decoded, it's just a matter of time. I'll give
gstreamer a go, just to see if it works; that would sure make things easy.

The units are degrees for the forward/backward and left/right tilt. These
control the percentage of the maximum tilt (which is currently 30 degrees).
Obviously, the more tilt, the faster it goes. I've found that anything more
than 25 degrees actually drives the drone to the ground, so I'm thinking of
adding a limit, and/or adding a rosparam allowing the change of the max
angle.

Nate Roney