[ros-users] trigger goal from inside actionlib server

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Mon Oct 18 16:44:31 UTC 2010

Hi Ben,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Axelrod, Benjamin <baxelrod at irobot.com> wrote:
> I have an actionlib server and I would like to be able to trigger its own
> goal.  I don’t need any callbacks for goal accepted, feedback, or even
> result.  I just want to manually set the server to be active.  Is this
> possible?  I can’t figure out a way to do this.

Why don't you use a SimpleActionClient to set the goal? If you don't
specify the callbacks when setting you call sendGoal, those callbacks
default to being null. Is that not what you want?

http://www.ros.org/doc/api/actionlib/html/classactionlib_1_1SimpleActionClient.html#ae6a2e6904495e7c20c59e96af0d86801

> It might be nice if  actionlib::SimpleActionServer::acceptNewGoal() was
> overloaded to accept a goal parameter.  That would set the server active,
> but with NULL callbacks.

Is there a strong reason for wanting to do this without explicitly
having a client?

Blaise