[ros-users] opende package update breaks ode-config

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Tue Oct 19 16:39:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM, nickopen <nicholas.hillier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently did an update of the .deb binary distribution under Ubuntu 10.04
> and found that the output of the ode-config tool is now broken (see below).
> It looks like the returned paths are pre-appended with some build artefacts
> (i.e.
> /tmp/buildd/ros-cturtle-physics-ode-1.2.5/debian/ros-cturtle-physics-ode ).

Yes, this is an unfortunate side-effect of the fact that ROS does not
yet support a proper install step.

> This prevents linking etc for a number of (non-ROS) projects, and it also
> appears to have broken the OpenRAVE build process.
>
> $ rosrun opende ode-config --cflags
> -I/tmp/buildd/ros-cturtle-physics-ode-1.2.5/debian/ros-cturtle-physics-ode/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/physics_ode/opende/opende/include
> -DdDOUBLE
>
> $ rosrun opende ode-config --libs
> -Wl,-rpath,/tmp/buildd/ros-cturtle-physics-ode-1.2.5/debian/ros-cturtle-physics-ode/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/physics_ode/opende/opende/lib
> -L/tmp/buildd/ros-cturtle-physics-ode-1.2.5/debian/ros-cturtle-physics-ode/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/physics_ode/opende/opende/lib
> -lode
>
> Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

One solution is to add the argument:   --prefix=`rospack find
opende`/opende, e.g.

rosrun opende opende-config --prefix=`rospack find opende`/opende --libs

The other solution is to use the rospack exports which lets the opende
package do this itself:

rospack export --lang=cpp --attrib=lflags opende

Sorry about this inconvenience.
--Jeremy