[ros-users] How to slow down Gazebo simulation time?

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Wed Oct 20 05:35:42 UTC 2010

Hi Lisa,

you can throttle physics by adding an <upateRate> tag to the physics block.
For example, see this
file<https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/stacks/simulator_gazebo/tags/cturtle/gazebo_worlds/worlds/empty_throttled.world>

  <physics:ode>
    <updateRate>200</updateRate>
  </physics:ode>

if time step size is 1ms, throttling at 200 steps/second effectively
throttles simulation down to .2X real-time.

you can further reduce cpu load by disabling the simulator gui by providing
the '-g' flag when starting gazebo.  For example, see attached launch
script.

John