[ros-users] ROS 1.3.0 Released

Daniel Hewlett dhewlett at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 06:48:18 UTC 2010

Hi Ken,

I know that rosjava is experimental, but it's worked quite well for us and
we have come to rely on it for a few things in our lab (since we have a good
amount of pre-existing Java code). Am I understanding this correctly as
saying that rosjava will not work at all in any release after 1.3.0, or is
the situation only temporary? Also, what would be involved in converting
rosjava to the new message generation paradigm? From reading the docs, it
sounds like it's mostly a matter of porting some C++ code to Python, but not
being familiar with the message generation process I don't have a good feel
for how complex it would be.

Thanks,
Daniel

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:

> This is an unstable, "odd-cycle" release for doing development for ROS
> 1.4. This release has many changes. Most notably, genmsg_cpp is no
> longer supported, so rosjava and rosoct will not work with this
> release. Also, many packages have been moved to the 'rx' and
> 'documentation' stacks.
>
> For more information, please see the blog post:
>
> http://www.ros.org/news/2010/10/ros-130-released-unstable.html
>
>  -- your friendly neighborhood ROS core devs

Daniel Hewlett
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Computer Science
University of Arizona