[ros-users] Nodelets and thread safety

Josh Faust jfaust at willowgarage.com
Sat Oct 23 23:15:41 UTC 2010

> A couple of the guys here at work were talking about passing around large
> objects with the nodelets when we realised there was no thread safety
> attached to the objects that were getting passed around. Is there any plans
> to add this functionality to them? i.e. either via something like a
> Mutex.msg you could include with your other msg's (aka Time.msg) or perhaps
> via a thread safe shared pointer that you could use when publishing.

I'm not really sure what you mean -- boost::shared_ptr is atomically
reference counted, so it the object won't be deleted out from under you if
you have multiple subscribers to the same topic.  If you need to modify the
object in the subscriber you can subscribe to a non-const version of the
message, and it will make a copy for you if there are multiple subscribers.
 Do you mean you want to be able to modify the object on the publisher side
after you've sent it?

Josh