[ros-users] Driver for the Laser sick PLS200-214??

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Mon Oct 25 16:37:56 UTC 2010

Hi Aaron,

The current ROS LMS driver uses the sicktoolbox. So my first questions
to you would be:

- Does sicktoolbox support the PLS200-214? If it does, then tweaking
the sicktoolbox_wrapper driver should allow the PLS to work. (It might
also be necessary to update the version of sicktoolbox that is pulled
by the sicktoolbox package.)

- Can sicktoolbox be modified to support the PLS200-214? From what you
write, you were easily able to upgrade the player driver to work with
the PLS. If that's the case, I imagine that sicktoolbox can be
similarly enhanced.

If neither of those options works, it should be relatively easy to get
the Player driver working with ROS. You just have to call ros_init to
create a ROS node, advertise a topic, copy the data into a message,
and publish that message. I imagine you may also have to take out some
player-specific code.

I think that there may also be some player to ROS bridges out there
that might allow you to use the player driver directly.

Blaise