[ros-users] Best way to start a launch file automatically on startup

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Mon Oct 25 19:27:49 UTC 2010

I do the following:

1. I have an init.d script that sources the correct setup.sh, and
rosruns the actual init.d script in a ROS package.
2. The init.d script in the ROS package uses start-stop-daemon, or
your distro's variant to start/stop roslaunch.

I do this two step method because I always find myself wanting to make
simultaneous changes to the launch file and the init.d script. By
having only a stub in /etc/init.d, I can pretty much guarantee that
the stub never has to change.