[ros-users] Questions about VSLAM

Kurt Konolige konolige at willowgarage.com
Thu Oct 28 06:08:08 UTC 2010

M.A. -

VSLAM currently works only with stereo cameras.  VSLAM with monocular
cameras is much less robust, unless it is augmented with other sensors
such as odometry or IMUs.

Using two webcams to make a stereo pair is difficult.  You have to:

1. Make sure they're rigidly mounted
2. Synchronize them

Synchronization is difficult for standard webcams.  At the moment I
don't think there are any cheap off-the-shelf stereo cams.  Here's one
reference for a do-it-yourself:

http://sszymczy.rootnode.net/index.php?menu=projects

It would be nice to do some kind of VSLAM on the Create using odometry
to help, but that would take some work.

Cheers --Kurt